CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Granada

Granada is a treasure and our travel to it will stay with us forever
-Michelle Obama
So since I stayed in Granada for 4 weeks, it would be ridiculous to write about what I did every second. But I will try to hit the main points in consecutive order of which they happened.

So from Toledo we took a bus to Granada, which I want to say took like 4-5hrs. We stayed at the Gran Hotel Luna de Granada. Its located on Plaza Manuel Cano 2, 19004 Granada. Our room once again had 2 twin beds pushed together. No kitchenette, but a mini fridge. This hotel was lot less modern than our hotels in Barcelona and Madrid, but it was still decent. We ate breakfast and lunch in the hotel during the week, which was self serve buffet. I was sick of the food towards the end of our trip. Also there was free Wi-Fi in the lobby, which was always cold from the A/C. Also there was a pool on the top of the hotel.There was also a little bar in the hotel that had a TV and food you can order. I never ate there though, I would just go there to ask to use the microwave or for ice. Also the hotel is right across the street from Corte Ingles, which has everything you need. And about a 15-20 min walk to Plaza Nueva and Bib-Rambla Plaza.


taped up remote
it was like this when we got there

that foot washer came in handy

Once we settled in, we were starving! In the hotel lobby we saw a deal for Domino's so we grabbed a map and went on an adventure to find Domino's. We took a wrong turn and ended up in a real sketchy area so we were getting a little nervous, and to add to it, it started raining. Anyways we found our way to the main road and eventually Domino's. We ordered a medium pizza and some cheesy bread and soda. I dont remember the exact cost, but it was EXTREMELY cheap, like 5 euros. They had some special where the cheesy bread was only 19 pence!!!! And to add to the great deal, the food tasted sooo good, Domino's in the US need to take some tips from Spain!


Anyways, enough about Domino's. Frpm here I'll just list places and give you a brief description of my experience...

World Cup
So as you may know, or maybe not...the World Cup took place while I was in Spain and Spain won the World Cup for the 1st time while I was there, so of course I had to keep up with the games. One of the popular places to watch the game was at this huge tent in Plaza Nueva. There was a big screen inside the tent, and the perimeter of the tent was filled with vendors selling beer. The place gets PACKED, so you would have to get there early if you want a good spot close to the screen or come during half time. Also, it was extremely hot inside the tent, almost unbearable. But it was free and exciting! (pix are out of order and from different games/days)



in front of the tent



view from the back/entrance of the tent



view from the side of the tent













the streets were cray after they won

right after the win!!










I dont even have this much spirit at home in the US lol

prepping for the game

Chinese Food Restaurants
So I went to a couple different Chinese Restaurants in Granada...I can't tell you the exact name or location, but all the Chinese Restaraunts seemed to be similar. Bost restaurants had very nice table settings and always seemed empty, despite the fact the food was pretty decent. The food was very similar to Chinese food in the US, except I didn't see my favorite orange chicken and beef & broccli on the menu. But what kept me coming back to these restaurants was the special combo that consisted of an appetizer, and entree, rice, dessert and a drink for less than 5 Euros!!! Trust me, it was hard to find a full decent meal for that price in Spain, so I at Chinese food probaly like 5 times while there.









La Bella y La Bestia (Beauty and the Beast) Tapas Bar
This bar is near to the Cathedral and right next to the popular nightclub, Granada 10. There are many bars nearby, so if you don't like this bar, your sure to find another nearby. I had sangria there which came with free tapas. The place was cool, but nothing to write home about.


free tapas

Sangria

Entrance

Granada 10
After leaving La Bella y Bestia we wandered around for a bit, then came back to Granada 10. It was still closed when we got there. I think they finally opened up the doors at like 1am. But while we were waiting, we ran into this guy who was giving out free passes to the club, only thing is, the free passes don't come with drinks, where you can pay $10 to get in and get 1 or 2 free drinks (I don't remember). But we still used the free passes. Once inside, it was pretty empty, but that's because we went inside right when it opened up. The ladies room was upstairs and didnt have tissue :(. There was plenty of seating inside the club which was good, b/c I hate standing around the whole time. We took some shots of tequila while there, I dont remember how much they cost, but I want to say around 3 Euros. There was lots of tourists in the club, doesn't really seem like a place for locals. And the music was a mix of disco, hip hop, funk, salsa, merengue, bachata, Latin, etc.


shots of Tequila





Los Italianos
So we saw this place the night we went to Granada 10 and it was super crowded, reminded me of Diddy Riese in Westwood. So on a random day after souveneir shopping, we decided to stop inside. It's a gelato place with many flavors. I think I got caramel...and it tasted exactly like caramel, but I didn't like it too much.



Mae West
Our next Friday night out there we ventured to Mae West. We called a cab, but while waiting for the cab we noticed a mass amount of people across the street, so ve headed over so see what was going on. Well we get across the street and its hundreds of young people just drinking in this vacant lot. So apparently before heading to the clubs, people just hang outside and drink! So we socialized for about 5 mins, then at about 1am hopped in a cab to go to Mae West. When we got there we realized the place was walking distance and we could have saved a little money, but oh well. So we walk upstairs to the club and its a short line. The price was 10 Euros before 2 (I think) and that came with 2 drinks. We got inside and the club was pretty big with 3 rooms. It was still kind of empty when we got inside, but by like 3a you could barely walk through the club. The room on the left played Salsa music, the room in the middle was the biggest and played a mix of music that was similar to what we heard in all the other clubs in Spain. Then in the room to the right there was a bar, TVs and tables. They were playing random old American music like Grease and the Beach Boys. We thought it was kind of funny. This club was less touristy then Granada 10.


the vacant lot


the vacant lot again

free flower I got



The Alhambra
So if you ever go to Granada, you must visit the Alhambra. I'm not going to give you the full history behind it, because you can find it anywhere on the internet. I will just tell you about my experience. So we had this tour guide that was a little rude, but we enjoyed the visit nonetheless. The place is huge. It would take an whole day or maybe 2 days to actually take the time to explore all of it. It was too hot and I was tired of walking to stay very long. I might have been able to enjoy it more if the weather was better. Anyways there are some amazing views from the Alhambra and the place is beautiful. There are also souveneir shops at the Alhambra with lots of beautiful yet expensive hamdmade crafts. Oh, and we took a cab there which cost about 18 Euros if I remember correctly (I think we got ripped off).





our tourguide showing us the handmade crafts



king's throne

this is how they cooled off back in the day



Cueva de La Rocio
So my friend Brandon came to visit while I was in Granada, so I had to plan out a good weekend for him. So Friday evening we went to see a Flamenco show at Cueve de La Rocio. It is located in the caves of Sacromonte. We caught a cab up there and I think it was like 12 Euros. Anyways we missed the first show, so we just bought tix for the next show which was like 20 Euros and came with 2 free drinks. We all got Sangria and drank 1 of them while we were waiting. Finally it was time for our show, we went inside the cave, which looked different from what I expected. there was chairs lines up around the perimeter of the tiny cave and the dancers danced right in the middle. There were many different dancers and the music was all live. The show got better as it went on and we had a good time.  Oh and at the end of the performance they were picking people out of the crowd to dance with, and they picked me...it was kind of embarrassing yet fun! After that we walked to some Morrocan restaurant, which I dont remember the name of. The decor was nice, but we were unimpressed by the food.




 



















at the Morroccan restaurant


drinking sangria as we waited

where we waited







El Camborio
So after dinner we walked to El Camborio, which is a nightclub inside of caves. We got there at about 1am and it was basically empty. I think it cost 7 euros to get in and came with 1 drink. We went up stairs to the lounge area and it was beautiful, with a nice view of the Alhambra lit up at night. Brandon ordered a Mojito. Tayla and I ordered a Mary Pickford. Brandn hated his Mojito and didnt drink it. The Mary Pickford was interesting. Well anyways the club was so empty that we actually ended up playing Hide N Seek LOL. After that we decided to leave. The bouncers tried to convince us to stay, by telling us that it would get more crowded in like an hour, but we didn't really have the patience, so we just headed back to the hotel.



The Mojito and Mary Pickford


This is how empty the dance floor was LOL


playing Hide N Seek

Our last night in Spain :(
So on our last night we started pregaming in the hotel (we needed to finish our bottle of alcohol since we couldn't travel with it) and ate shwarma (another cheap eat located everywhere in Granada). After drinking and getting dressed, we headed to Chupiteria 69. Its a little bar located on Socrates 12, that has a huge menu of shots (Chupitos) for 1 Euro. And you get this little token everytime you buy a shot. After 25 tokens you get this free cowboy hat LOL. Anyways I had like 2-3 shots here, but I don't remember which ones, but I believe they were all on the Fuertes (strong) menu.
After leaving there we went to Granada 10 again. But this time we had to pay :( I think we worked out some deal where we paid 10 or 20 euros and got 2 free drinks. Anyways, those free drinks ultimately put me over the edge, I got pretty drunk, but also had a good time. We caught a taxi back to the hotel and overslept the next morning which resulted in us missing our flight to London on top of my hangover FML


at Granada 10

the hat!

bartender at Granada 10

Chupito menu

don't ask LOL

chupitos!!!!!!


yeah, I definetely caught him off guard LOL


**** Of course there were many other places I went to in Granada, but I can't remember the names of all these places :/

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails