CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 8, 2011

Featured Friday - Naturally Chelsea

Name:


Hey my name is Chelsea or Naturally Chelsea in the cyber curly world



Location and what is the natural scene there?:

I live in Toronto Canada and the natural scene is non existent. Everywhere I turn there are girls weaved and wigged up. But there is hope since I saw one woman with really juicy twists once so maybe a few more natural heads will start appearing.



Why did u go natural?

I actually went natural with the intention of texturizing. Two of my friends had recently had their hair done and it seemed like the best of both worlds- curls that hung loosely and hair that was still thick. Besides if I were to be honest I wanted the ‘she must be mixed curls’ (yh I know ignorance at its finest). So I started my transition and struggled to maintain my hair.

Then during the summer I started doing research online to care for my hair properly and I stumbled upon NaturallyCurly.com and CurlyNikki.com and fell in love with my natural hair. I learned to appreciate my natural hair whilst I learned to care for it and after a short love affair I decided to never put another chemical on my hair again.



How did others react to you going natural? What was your response to them?

My mother hated it. She actually forbid me from going natural or cutting my hair. It was strange seeing as she had recently done the BC. She told me that I would not be pretty without my straight tresses. However, I had very supportive friends and one in particular who kept me motivated.

My other family members were more in disbelief than anything else. After I BC’d there were many conversations about my decision and many a time I heard “Do you know she cut it off, she’s natural?” on the phone but it was not negative per se, just curiosity, perplexity and disbelief.

My response was to keep it moving. I am a strong person on the whole and when you tell me no it only makes me want to do it even more to prove you wrong. Every negative comment pushed me further on my journey and now the naysayers are my biggest cheerleaders.



In regards to your hair, how do you describe yourself (natural, curly, kinky, coiled, nappy, healthy, etc) and why?

I am definitely natural. As far as curls go I have 3c waves and 4a corkscrews. But most importantly my hair is healthy and beautiful.



Describe your hair (hair type, thickness, length, porosity, etc)

My hair is medium to fine thickness, with medium porosity. I am above shoulder length.



Describe your journey (did you transition, big chop, etc)

I transitioned for 11 long months. Then on the 7th of November I cut off the relaxed ends at the back of my head out of curiosity. The following day I simply could not hold back any longer. I was far too anxious to see my natural hair and begin experimenting so I cut it all off on the 8th of November.



What are your hair goals?

I would love BSL hair that is partially stretched from a braid or twist out. The reason for my length is really to prove a point. I want to show people that women with highly textured hair can grow their hair to unimaginable lengths. Also I believe the length will inspire more women to take the plunge for naturally beautiful hair. But most importantly I want hair that is healthy art any length.



What is your staple style (please include picture)?

A braid (pictures 4-6) or twist out (pictures 1-3) are my favorites





Also since it is winter I do twist (pictures 7-11) my hair to protect it from the elements



What is your hair regimen?

Well now that it is winter I:

Cleanse my hair on Thursday or Friday using a shampoo bar and Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner.

I then set my hair for a twist out for church on Saturday using Qhemet’s Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, texture my way moisturizer and a various butter to seal.

I then stretch my hair using plaits so that I can twist my hair later using aloe vera gel. This is my protective style for winter

If I do not twist my hair then I will dry braid my hair dampening my hair slightly and using aloe vera gel as my style and wear my hair like that for the entire week.



What are your staple/holy grail products?

I love Herbal Essences Hello Hydration shampoo and conditioner (conditioner especially)

Shea butter

Aloe vera gel

Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee

Darcy’s Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Crème



What is your definition of natural?

The hair that literally comes out of your scalp minus any chemical that will alter its pattern (i.e curly to straight or straight to curly).

P.S

If one colors their hair I still consider them natural.



Best advice to someone who is thinking about going natural?

Be patient!! Nothing worth having comes easily. If you care for your hair and show it some TLC it will grow.

Do not compare your hair to that which is on someone else’s head. You hair is beautiful for the mere fact that it is unique so cherish the tresses you have because there may be someone out there who envies your hair.

Going natural whilst young can sometimes be a daunting thought. You may worry about your parents and family members, school and everything else under the sun. But all is not lost. I mean think about it, IT IS YOUR HAIR!! You should have some say in what happens to it. The rude comments of others will come to pass and at the end of it you will have a head full of healthy hair and all the haters will be asking you how to grow their edges back and what your ‘secret’ it.

But here are some posts that I have written to help a sistah out:

How To Handle Your Parents: (http://curlyandyoung.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-handle-your-parents.html)

How to Handle Rude Comments About Your Hair: (http://curlyandyoung.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-handle-rude-comments-about-your.html)

Being Curly In Highschool: (http://curlyandyoung.blogspot.com/2011/01/being-curly-in-highschool.html)



Where can we find you on the web (blog, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Fotki, etc)?

My Blog: Curly and Young (http://www.curlyandyoung.blogspot.com)

My Blog Forum: (http://curlyandyoung.forumotion.ca)

My Facebook Page: (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Curly-and-Young/176100945752611#!/pages/Curly-and-Young/176100945752611?v=wall)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?
There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thank you

Here is my site profitbetkz.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails